- "Lousy God-squadders. They come over here, spouting all that shit, they expect the whole world to start working like their fucking neighbor. Well it doesn't! So they send in the devil to do God's work. It's ironic, isn't it?"
- ―Lewis on the Christian Missionaries.
- "Let me explain our situation. Our church is part of a pan-Asian ministry, located in Colorado. We are all volunteers who, around this time of year, bring in medical supplies, medical attention, prayer books, and support to the Karen tribespeople. "
- ―Michael Burnett on the Christ Church of Colorado.
Michael Burnett and his fiancee, Sarah Miller, lead a group of about eight missionaries who travel to Bangkok, Thailand to ask snake farm employee John Rambo if he can escort them down the Salween River into Burma, because the Tatmadaw have laid too many land mines on their usual route since their last visit. Rambo initially refuses because Burma is a dangerous war zone that is notorious for a sixty year long civil war and ethnic cleansing, but after Sarah talks to them, she restores his faith in humanity and Rambo agrees to transport them down river free of charge. Rambo has a falling-out with Michael, as he appears to judge him based on his past. After Rambo saves the group by killing five Tatmadaw river pirates who intend to rape Sarah, Michael says that he plans to report Rambo for murder. When they reach their destination, Sarah gives Rambo a cross bracelet to thank him for his help. A week or so later, Rambo is visited by the church's Reverand, Arthur Marsh, who informs him that the group has gone missing and have likely been abducted by the sadistic Tatmadaw Army. Marsh tells Rambo that he has hired a team of mercenaries who have experience in Southeast Asia, and Rambo offers to go along to rescue Sarah and the other missionaries, who are languishing in an unsanitary, brutal prison camp led by the sadistic Pa Tee Tint.
At the end of the film, Rambo succeeds in the rescue attempt, although a couple of the missionaries are killed in the final firefight and there is also a scene where Michael ironically has to kill a Tatmadaw soldier to protect a mercenary. Michael thanks Rambo for his heroics and Michael and Sarah embrace.
- Reverand Arthur Marsh
- Michael Burnett
- Sarah Miller
- Three other missionaries (dentist, videographer and preacher)
The church may have been chosen to be located in Colorado as a reference to another Stallone film, called Cliffhanger, which was released in 1993 and directed by Renny Harlin, who also did films like Die Hard 2 and Deep Blue Sea. Cliffhanger was set in Colorado in the Rocky Mountains and is generally regarded as one of Stallone's best and most beloved films. In fact, the film jumpstarted his career as an action star after he had done several flops such as Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot, which Stallone regards personally as his worst film.